[nabs-l] Schools for the Blind vs. Public School Education

Melissa Green graduate56 at juno.com
Mon Jun 22 07:42:54 UTC 2009

I believe that both schools for the blind and public school have  their
place.
I went to public school in Nj.  However, I also attended camps for the blind
and various other summer programs as well.
I won't say that I wouldn't change anything.  That would be untrue.  I will
say that I am glad that the right to choice is available.  Parents can have
their children attend both a public school and the blind school, or just
choose one or the other.  Its not like when I was growing up.  The schools
that were supposed to be for blind children were usually very quiet and the
books would be old and out of date, and or every blind person went to the
school for the blind and nowhere else.
That is how it was in alabama.  All of the blind people were living in the
town where the school for the blind was located.  Even after graduation.
if not, they worked for the agency for the blind.  That was all.
I feel that it should be the parents choice, and the student when he or she
is older.
Finally, both settings have their disadvantages, and advantages.
I don't know what I would do with the choice.

Melissa Green
Limitations live only in our minds. But if we use our imaginations, our
possibilities become limitless