[nabs-l] People are weird when it comes to blindness

Teal Bloodworth tealbloodworth at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 02:12:35 UTC 2009

Hello
Actually Arielle I have had some ofthe same things happen. Different people
would randomly tell me just how beautiful I am but i never really put those
2 things together and it makes since. Sometimes afterwards they make a
comment like "I just dont know what i would do if i were blind" and that has
made me think it before but never really put that together.
As for people thinking we are not able to really do things i have had people
really grab onto me before or at times nearly pick me up down stairs. I
would joke and ask for a piggy back ride but you cannot really be offended
by it. Even I had never met a visually impaired person before my going blind
therefore i have an understanding of not knowing the human bodies way of
compensating and abilities. You really do just have too  educate them and
let them kno how to help you. My favorite cheerleader saying will always be
"good girl". This makes me wonder if a pat on the head will follow. To look
on the positive side atleast you hav people who care enough to help you out
oppose to ignoring your questions on the street.

-Teal