[nabs-l] ScanSnap

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 07:48:57 UTC 2009

He all,

I was wondering if any of you had ever seen the Fujitsu ScanSnap
sheet-fed scanners?  The marketing materials make it sound like a
truly remarkable little device.

The portable version can be connected to two USB ports (needed for
power) and folds down into something the size of a box of aluminum
foil.  The desktop version folds up into a "blobject" smaller than
most inkjet printers.

Supposedly what sets the thing apart is how you use it.  Plug the
thing in, open it up, stick documents into the hopper, press the
button, and watch the show.  The show consists of two-sided scanning,
handling of different-sized pages, correcting skewed documents, and
depending on what you've configured it to do, it can also OCR the
documents and do other post-processing.

The software suites vary between Mac and PC, but on the PC side the
software includes Acrobat, FineReader, and CardMinder, as well as its
own document manager.  The Mac version exists (and it's what I'd buy
for myself), but I wonder how accessible the software is to Windows
screen readers?

The major thing about this device is that it is not TWAIN or ISIS
compliant.  You could arrange that via the UNIX SANE system and
whatever passes for a TWAIN-SANE bridge for Windows, but that's just
crazy-talk in my mind.  It's really meant to use with its own
software, and its own software generates documents, not images.

Has anyone tried it?  I suspect the basic scanner driver probably
works well, and you could then set it up to open PDFs with whatever
you like.  (Most Windows ScanSnap users recommend OneNote, but blind
users may find any number of other things to use..)  I wonder though
if the ScanSnap Organizer is even remotely usable by a blind person.

Flatbed scanners are just horrid for anything but pictures, in my
mind.  I'm kind of excited by the prospect of the ScanSnap because
people say it really is what it claims to be: A document scanner,
designed to get paper into your computer in an indexed, sorted, and
searchable way.  Stick "accessible" in there somewhere and Fujitsu is
gonna sell a lot of these things to blind people.

Joseph