[nabs-l] Foreign language

Sarah J. Blake sarah at growingstrong.org
Mon Mar 30 17:16:37 UTC 2009

Jason,

How fluent are you in English braille?

The primary problems with college-level foreign language are the
availability of textbooks in braille. Often it is possible to get a text via
RFB&D but not in braille. Sometimes it is possible to get the text
transcribed if you know well in advance (meaning a year or so) what you will
be using. This is not cheap, and I would recommend enlisting the support of
your university and VR counselor to fund it.

Professors may also be using handouts, and you would need access to these.
(Not all professors do this, but some do.) I have learned four languages...
Every professor's teaching style is different. If it is possible for you to
meet with a professor and learn about their teaching style and find out
about their level of interest in working with you, this could be an
advantage. You may be able to sit in on some class sessions without auditing
to determine whether you can follow what is going on in class.

Working with a Spanish major as a tutor may also be helpful to you.

Sarah J. Blake
Personal email: sjblake at growingstrong.org
http://www.growingstrong.org

I'm protected by SpamBrave