[nabs-l] establishing expectations

Jedi loneblindjedi at samobile.net
Mon May 4 04:54:31 UTC 2009

Jim and All:

I agree with arielle that using a white cane can offer explanations so
we don't have to. I also believe that the use of the long cane can also
limit the amount of mortifying accidents we might have For example, dr.
Maurer tells of the time when he took a fall into a river while walking
a foot bridge he couldn't see. He says that, had he used a white cane,
that wouldn't have been an issue. Before I started to use a white cane,
I was often confused. I'd run into plastic life-sized clothing models
and think they were real people and apologize. Some of us have taken
trips down stairs when lighting and contrast conditions don't meet our
needs. Many more of us have ran into people just outside our visual
range. Using the white cane and mobility skills prevents all of these
and allows us to travel more gracefully and confidently. For those of
us with vision, the white cane allows us to use our vision more
efficiently. Bottom line: the white cane really makes a difference both
on a social level and on a practical level.

I would disagree with Arielle on only one point. It has been my
experience that sighted people react to the cane in a variety of ways
except just plain acceptance. In my small town, people are often
curious and are sometimes rude about it. Many people part like the red
sea when I go walking. I think the fact of less exposure makes a
difference. Perhaps sighted people are more accustomed to blind people
in towns where there are more of us. For example, blind people are
nearly common place in seattle and vancouver where our populations are
largest. In towns like these, blind people are less likely to be
harassed or picked out of a crowd. small towns like mine see only
elderly blind people who don't get out much or who use paratransit. I
don't think sighted people inherently accept us or are non-accepting of
us. I think a large part of a sighted person's acceptance (white cane
or not) is a matter of exposure and common sense on all of our parts.
That's just my opinion for what it's worth.