[nabs-l] Tourism Stratagies?

Haben Girma habnkid at aol.com
Wed May 6 00:02:13 UTC 2009

Jim, your trip sounds awesome, and I love that you plan to do it without
guided tours. Independent blind travelers gather tons of information
from the people they meet around them, as well as from the environment,
guide books, and Internet. I've found wikitravel.org, tripadvisor.com,
and travel blogs very helpful in planning some of my own trips.  I
suggest taking the train or bus to get to your first park. You can try
finding a person in each of those areas to show you around, and there
are sites online that can help you find such friendly people. One such
place is couchsurfing.com, another is Hospitality Club, whose website I
don't remember. You could even find a sighted friend to go along and
drive a car, though that will give you the added expense of renting a
car and paying for gas... You could try taking the buses and trains to
get into the area of interest, then hiring a taxi to drop you off at the
heart of the park. Once in the park, explore at your own leisure, see
what you chance upon, and talk to the other hikers you meet out there.
At the end of the day you could call a taxi to take you back to your
lodging place in the nearby town.

 Have fun.
Haben

Haben