[nabs-l] Tourism Stratagies?

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Tue May 5 21:43:56 UTC 2009

Jim,
I think it would be a mistake not to go on a tour.  With a tour you have
transportation, learn about the site, and have others to describe things to
you.  When I've gone traveling I had friends or family describe things.
You could travel by plane or train.  But without driving you'll be doing
lots of walking.  As to resources each site is different.  The capitol in DC
has an audio tape describing statues and things inside.  The Smithsmonian
has braille and large print brochures.
I think you should call the park and find out.

Hope someone else has more info.  Honestly, sight seeing alone as a blind
person is difficult.  You get more out of it with sighted friends or family.
Museums and restored homes like George Washington's home do not allow
touching.  In fact stuff is roped off several feet away from the objects.
This prevents a low vision person from getting up near the thing to look
closely.
My favorite tours are those trolley tours where the guide describes the
sites and gives you lots of interesting history.

Ashley