[nabs-l] digital braille watch for men

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Thu May 7 17:55:57 UTC 2009

Patrick,

Braille watches are analog.  They use bumps in place of numbers on
the watch face and open up.  Being able to tell analog time is the
key, rather than being able to read Braille.  It takes a little
getting used to, all the same.

I found I was unsatisfied with the quality of the watches designed
for blind people.  The bands were just uncomfortable and their
stamped construction pulled hairs literally on a daily basis.  Also,
there was enough nickel in the bands to cause me some serious skin
irritation besides.  (I have a sensitivity to nickel.)

I find leather and cloth bands get disgusting far too quickly in the
summer months, so this left me with milled (as opposed to stamped)
bracelet bands in stainless steel or precious metal.  When you start
talking about jewelry type watches, you start talking about jewelry
type prices.  You won't find a watch that fits my needs under $300
unless Vinny the Shamwow guy is gonna make you an offer you can't
refuse for two of them.  (And then you'll have paid $300 by the time
you've paid for "processing and handling"--but that's a separate

Anyway, the only watch I've seen a blind person use in that category
is the Tissot Silent-T.  It's a big, heavy watch, but it's read by
touch.  You run your finger around the rim's touch surface and the
watch vibrates the time as you do it.

I didn't get one of those.  I found I can read a bank watch face with
high contrast.  To get an idea of what I'm talking about, you can
look at the Movado watches at a nearby Kay Jewelers.  You might
prefer to find another brand at another store when you see the price
tags, though!

Joseph