[nabs-l] A moral question

Domonique Lawless dlawless86 at gmail.com
Sun May 10 03:46:47 UTC 2009

Jim and listers,
	If you are a cane user and choose not to bring your cane to a job
interview then you are deceiving your potential employer and not
giving him or her the opportunity to make an informed decision as to
whether or not they want to hire you. As blind people we are
automatically at a disadvantage when it comes to employment
opportunities because the majority of people buy into the stereotypes
of blindness and are unaware of the alternative techniques that we use
to accomplish everyday tasks.  If you as a blind person choose not to
bring your cane to a job interview you are not only deceiving your
future employer, you are also sending the message that you are ashamed
of your blindness.
	Also, it has been pointed out to me by some of my sighted friends and
family that people with residual vision walk differently with a cane
then they do without.  Using a cane and proper cane technique gives a
blind traveler more confidence when walking and also improves their
posture whereas traveling without a cane and use of good cane skills
negatively affects a blind person’s posture and ability to travel
safely. With this example I at least would choose to go to a job
interview with my cane so that I could present myself as a competent
blind person with the ability to safely and confidently travel.
	One last point that I will leave you with is that as Federationists
it is our duty to help educate the general public on the subject of
blindness. How can we help educate people if we are too afraid to put
ourselves out there with our canes and our guide dogs? Also, even if
we as blind people don’t get the job we applied for we can at least
take pride in the fact that we helped dispel the myths about blindness
for someone and that they will in turn understand that blind people
can be confident, competent and successful members of society.

Domonique Lawless
Board member, National Association of Blind Students
President, Tennessee Association of Blind Students
Dlawless86 at gmail.com