[nabs-l] Blind training and its affect on a career

Christopher Kchao thisischris89 at gmail.com
Wed May 13 10:26:39 UTC 2009

Jim,
I think the bigger issue at hand is whether YOU yourself think that your
vision is "good enough" or "bad enough." That should be the main determining
factor. Once you make that decision for yourself, you can figure out the
paperwork later. For many people who may even have partial vision, that
decision is simple and a matter of doing what makes the most sense. You
ultimately have to decide if using your residual vision is making your life
more complicated than it has to be or not. For example, it's one thing to
require a little bit of magnification for reading print on a computer screen
and another to have magnification set to 16 or 20x while the person still
struggles to read and gets frequent headaches from doing so. I personally am
totally blind but in my opinion, it's a matter of competence. I'd rather be
a competent blind person using nonvisual techniques as opposed to an
incompetent sighted person struggling with what little bit of vision they
have just so they don't have to "be blind."