[nabs-l] How is sending Louis Brallie coins into space relivant?

Antonio M. Guimaraes iamantonio at cox.net
Fri May 15 04:54:48 UTC 2009

Aziza,

Robots can virtually "see" by sending light, movement, and whatever else.

Not knowing much about nasa's work, I would venture in saying that most of
the really important work is at least directed by a human.

Blind people are also capable people. This opens up opportunities, including
in science. And some scientists are astronauts, though a small minority.

Can a blind person do a space walk, and conduct repair into equipment she or
he may not be familiar with? Probably not. But can a blind person take
active part in space research, even in a shuttle mission? Very likely.

I would want to see an astronaut's job description, and a broad range of
mission goals and objectives before I decided that I, or anyone on this list
aught to be working out in space, just for the sake of it.

If we ever see a blind astronaut, she or he will need to be in that position
because they are good at it, and passionate about it, not because our
organization decides to put a blind person into space just to prove a point.

I am not saying that we shouldn't be searching for that skillful and
inthuziastic blind person who is a good fit for NASA. Launching the coin
into space symbolizes our will to reach for what is currently beyond our
grasp. Literacy is a basic right, and for many, it is beyond there grasp.

Launching the coin into space was in some way a way to publicize the coin,
and the programs it will support. It is also a statement about how far we
are willing to go as blind people.

One thing that confused me is why we would release this thing into space,
thus creating daybree, but from following braille literacy on twitter, I
gathered that the coin was indeed launched into space inside the shuddle,
and will be returning safely to earth.

Antonio Guimaraes

If an infinite number of rednecks riding in an infinite number of pickup
trucks fire an infinite number of shotgun rounds at an infinite number of
highway signs, they will eventually produce all the world's great literary
works in Braille.

Shop online and support the NFB of RI at no additional cost to you.
http://www.givebackamerica.com/charity.php?b=169
Givebackamerica.org, America's Online Charity Shopping Mall