[nabs-l] mentoring, was High school outreach

Angela fowler fowlers at syix.com
Sat May 16 02:13:57 UTC 2009

Good break-down.

-----Original Message-----
From: nabs-l-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:nabs-l-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf
Of Aziza C
Sent: Friday, May 15, 2009 6:02 PM
To: National Association of Blind Students mailing list
Subject: Re: [nabs-l] mentoring, was High school outreach

Why is mentoring important? Mentoring is important because it sents a
positive example for the studentbeing mentored. The student will learn from
the mentors what is possible, and recieve direct examples of how to do
things. Also, young students tend to listen to people who aren't their
parents, even if the person says the exact same thing as their parents. A
blind mentor could give the "If I can do it, you can do it," vibe off.

Who can mentor? Anyone can be a mentor, it depends on who wants to, who has
the drive, attitude, and desire to try.

How is a match made? Well, if we develop a survey about mentors likes,
dislikes, majors and future goals, and do a similar one for the high school
student, then match up results as closely as possible it could be
benificial.

How is it supposed to be done? Mentors should not push their ideas down
their students' throats. They should present the facts, state their
oppinion, support it, and then ask questions to find out the student's
oppinion, and help develop it into something doable. Be encouraging, and
understanding, approachable.

What are the benefits? There are benifits for both parties. The mentor isn't
the only one teaching. Both will walk away with a good experience, insight,
encouragement, and possibly a friend in the future.

 When does the mentoring relationship begin and end? I don't think a
mentoring relationship, if it works out propperly ever truly ends. I
personally think of many people as my mentors, but I've also begun to see
them as friends too, so the relationship hasn't really ever ended.
I still go to them with questions for advice, and ideas, help and support.

On 5/15/09, Antonio Guimaraes <aguimaraes at nbp.org> wrote:
> Okay,
>
> With so much talk about mentoring, what do you guys think is
> mentoring? How is it supposed to be done? What are the benefits? When
> does the mentoring relationship begin and end? How does it begin and end?
>
> Why is mentoring important? Who can mentor? How is a match made?
>
> These are all questions I can try and answer and research, but I am
> curious what you think.
>
> Let's hear it from the most vibrant blind student generation.
>
> Antonio M. Guimaraes Jr.
>
> ReadBooks Coordinator
> National Braille Press
> 888 965-8965, ext 40.