[nabs-l] mentoring, was High school outreach

Jedi loneblindjedi at samobile.net
Sat May 16 01:57:11 UTC 2009

I like to think of mentoring as a sort of gardening. In gardening, we
don't force plants to become what we want them to become. We appreciate
what they are as we give them the nutrition and care to help them grow.
Mentoring certainly takes a lot of skill and passion. There is no such
thing as a perfect mentor. guess what, we'll all eventually screw up.

When I think of my favorite mentor, I think about how caring he is. He
takes joy in simply spending time with me. he's proud of my
accomplishments. He helps me through my difficulties. He's amazed at
what I learn. He's not at all proud. He shares his experiences and
wisdom, yet he knows that we are not and will never be the same person.
Most important, I get the impression that he sees me as an equal
although I am also his apprentice. He does not belittle me, make me
feel stupid, or act like his understanding is totally beyond my
comprehension; he also doesn't stagnate in his perceptions of me. I get
the impression that he learns almost as much as he teaches, and he's
definitely fascenated by what he learns.

I consider myself lucky to have him. If I had the same level of skill
he has, I'd be a happy camper. In the meantime, I hope to strive to
meet his example.

Respectfully,
Jedi