[nabs-l] Handicaped parking

Jim Reed jim275_2 at yahoo.com
Sat May 16 05:25:18 UTC 2009

Dave,

We must not forget that government, and the laws it produces,
are not something separate and distinct from the society the created the government
in the first place. Laws represent the will of the people, not the will of the government.
A government is a non-human entity; as such, it can not have a will of its own.
Therefore, by default; acts of the government must be viewed as the will of the
people.  Keep this idea in mind as I
proceed with the rest of my argument.

You said, “…if society thinks we need special treatment,
perks etc., then it isn't going to treat us as equals.” First, it is not a
matter of “if thinks we need special treatment,” society has already
made that decision. Second, through the passage of disability laws, society has
already judged us as unequal, thus needing special protection and privileges. Seeing
as how society has already made this judgment official through the passage of disability
laws, taking advantage of the special treatment provided for in those laws can
hardly make things any worse. Therefore, if it’s to the blind person’s
advantage to take advantage of a disability “perk,” go for it. Society has
already made up its mind, and your refusal to accept the perk is not going to
change its mind.

You also said, “If we are regarded as a group that needs to be
taken care of, needs

special breaks etc. then we won't get equal chances at jobs.” I once again
refer your attention to the word “if”; we are a group that society has deemed
to need special treatment.

Using the services and special treatments provided for us by
society is not verification on our part that we are in anyway inferior. Therefore,
the argument that a blind person’s use of society’s services and special
treatment somehow reduces their job prospects is irrelevant. Did we forget we
are blind? If anything, it is the white cane that will reduce our job prospects.

And actually, it is because of these “special breaks”, that
a well educated blind person actually has an advantage over a sighted person
when it comes to applying for government jobs.

If we really want to change society’s mind about blindness, let’s
find a totally blind juggler. (Grin) Until then, take advantage of the laws
society has put in place to improve our quality of life.
Just my thoughts,Jim

Jim

Homer Simpson's brain: "Use reverse psychology."
 Homer: "Oh, that sounds too complicated."
 Homer's brain: "Okay, don't use reverse psychology."

The other side of this is that if society thinks we need special
treatment, perks etc., then it isn't going to treat us as equals.  If
we are regarded as a group that needs to be taken care of, needs
special breaks etc. then we won't get equal chances at jobs.

Dave

 Homer: "Okay, I will!"