[nabs-l] Handicaped parking

Bill cassonw at gmail.com
Sat May 16 09:11:55 UTC 2009

Jim,
The biggest problem with that argument is that it assumes that society is
static while it most definitely is not.  Many of these laws were created in
the early 90's, and therefore it has been almost 20 years, a whole new
generation.  If we take on the task of changing the minds of the young
adults and children, society will view us differently.  If we run around our
college saying we need to have parking close to the building, then the
future policy makers will have that in mind.  As many here have stated, we
are able to walk while others of different fortune can not.  If you act like
an equal, aka, paying full fees for parks and public transportation, parking
in standard parking, then we are more likely to be treated as equals by
those who witness this.  You mention the white cane is the thing most likely
to not get us a job, why do you think this is?  Because they see the special
treatment we get and think, maybe subconsciously, that we are less capable.
It is not the fact that we are blind that does not get us the job, it is the
employer who maybe cannot see how we might do the job, or may think that she
needs special treatment by the government, therefore I’m going to have to
provide special things that might cost my business money.  The NFB says the
problem is not blindness but the lack of understanding that is the problem.
The last thing I have is that you say society makes the laws; we are part of
said society, so let’s change the laws.
Bill, VP
Oregon Association of Blind Students
cassonw at gmail.com