[nabs-l] cutting in line/handicaped parking

Jim Reed jim275_2 at yahoo.com
Sat May 16 20:28:11 UTC 2009

Hello all,
This really is an interesting topic, and I'd like to point ou that there is yet another dualism that can be explored regarding this issue.

Why is it that some "perks" of blindness are viewed as self-image affirming (for example an NFB scholarship), yet, others are viewed as determental to self-esteem (a handicaped placard)? They are essentially the same thing; they are both giving us special treatment for being blind. Nobody is going to be ashamed of recieving an NFB scholoarship, but if you stop to thing about it, you couldn''t have gotten that scholarship if you were not blind.

Additionally, the fact that we recieive a "perk" should not be the determining factor regarding our self-esteem. It is what we do with those "perk" that should influence our self-esteem. For example, you should not be ashamed of recieving VR assitance for going to school, unless you choose to spend all your time partying, consiquently fail, and waste taxpayer money in the process. Then, you should feel like a jerk. Or, for another example, I have a friend who is recieiving SSDI for an anxiety disorder, and he is perfectly happy taking a "free ride" from society and his parents. He appears to have no long-term goals except to ride his free ride as long as possible. If you are like this guy, then you should feel like a jerk. If, on the other hand, you are using your SSI/SSDI to help you through school, or to help you better your life in some other way, then you should be proud to recieve and use your SSI/SSDI funds.

Jim

Homer Simpson's brain: "Use reverse psychology."
 Homer: "Oh, that sounds too complicated."
 Homer's brain: "Okay, don't use reverse psychology."
 Homer: "Okay, I will!"