[nabs-l] The blind educating the blind

Angela fowler fowlers at syix.com
Sun May 17 01:36:50 UTC 2009

Well, Jim, we should never hire people based solely on a characteristic. I'm
against quotas, and from here I will go no further lest I get myself in
trouble. Suffice it to say, the best qualified person for the job should be
hired. At this point, the best people to train the blind are confident,
competent blind people with a positive philosophy. There are some damn good
sighted instructors out there, but for the most part it is the competent
confident blind people who can best teach the skills that after all they use
themselves. We're not isolating ourselves, not discriminating against
sighted people, we're merely putting the best possible people in very
important positions.