[nabs-l] The blind educating the blind

Antonio M. Guimaraes iamantonio at cox.net
Mon May 18 01:15:49 UTC 2009

Hello all,

I will take an umpopular view in agreeing with Jim here. I understand and
see the logic about blind people being the best to teach other blind people,
and having been through the challenges, and overcoming the obsticles of
blindness, but here are my thoughts.

1. Blind people should not limit themselves to work with the blind.

If a blind person decides she wants to study engineering, or that he wants
to me a music therapist, or that she wants to be a massage therapist or
psychologist, these people should be encouraged to do what it is they would
like to do in their hearts, not just what some counselor, or a group thinks
they'd be good at.

2. If a blind person has in in her to teach the blind, there should be an
equal amount of enthusiasm to encourage and support her career choice.

3. Neither group, the blind blindness professional, or the mainstream
professional should tolerate discrimination. This will happen to most blind
people, and they need to be prepared to fight it back effectively, mostly by
showing how other blind people have been successful, or demonstrating they
have what it takes to be so.

4. We need not assume that the sighted are so stupid and misguided as to be
innefective o & m instructors, braille teachers, and so on. They are mostly
our allies, or potential allies. Let's not hold so much hostility towards
the sighted people in our lives.

Antonio Guimaraes

If an infinite number of rednecks riding in an infinite number of pickup
trucks fire an infinite number of shotgun rounds at an infinite number of
highway signs, they will eventually produce all the world's great literary
works in Braille.

Shop online and support the NFB of RI at no additional cost to you.
http://www.givebackamerica.com/charity.php?b=169
Givebackamerica.org, America's Online Charity Shopping Mall