[nabs-l] handicaped parking

Jim Reed jim275_2 at yahoo.com
Mon May 18 17:50:24 UTC 2009

Courtney,

How many people on this list have ever been to a national park? How many go on a regular basis? When was the last time you went to a national park?

The answer to those questions is why the NPS provides a free disability pass. As I said yeasterday, the purpose of the NPS pass is to encoueage disabled persons to use the parks. Think about it, if a disabled person has enough money to go on vacation to visit a national park, clearly they have the ability to afford a $25 park entrance fee. Therefore, what would be the point of providing a pass if it was not for the purposes of encouraging disabled persons to use the national parks?

Or, think of it in another context. Consider the First-time home buyer's tax credit. Are first time home buyers so broke that the governemt must target them for a tax break, or is the purpose of the first time home buyer's tax credit to incourage first time home buyers to buy that first home?

Jim

Jim
Jim,

Here's where I disagree.  Why would a disabled person necessarily
require a pass to utalize the park service?  In other words, does the
rationale still come down to the fact that we are too poor to pay the
required fee?  If it doesn't, I really would be interested in what the
rationale is for giving us free passes.  Why are we a minority they
want to recruit, even going to the expense/loss of revenue of offering
free passes?
Courtney

Homer Simpson's brain: "Use reverse psychology."
 Homer: "Oh, that sounds too complicated."
 Homer's brain: "Okay, don't use reverse psychology."
 Homer: "Okay, I will!"