[nabs-l] Drunken cane travel

Angela fowler fowlers at syix.com
Mon May 18 21:04:06 UTC 2009

Lol, Jim, are you planning on doing a little experimenting, maybe help to
develop some new techniques for us?
All teasing aside, it isn't a frivolous topic, since many of us have had the
task of traveling home after a night out with friends. Alcohol impairs your
judgment and gives you a false since of confidence, so you're likely to go
for the gusto, traveling 90 miles an hour and running street crossings like
you own the road. If it's a rout you know well, and there are no busy
streets, you'll probably be fine. If you have a busy street to cross or you
aren't as familiar with the rout, the best thing to do is slow yourself
down, take as much extra time as you need and make damn sure you know what
you're doing.
	Really, when in doubt call a cab. Its wise for sighted people, and
just as wise for us. No shame in playing it safe, and in many situations it
just isn't worth the risk.