[nabs-l] NFB/ACB

Jedi loneblindjedi at samobile.net
Mon May 18 21:42:10 UTC 2009

What do you classify as negative traffic? You would be right to suggest
that back stabbing and villification on either side would be negative.
On the other hand, telling the truth is telling the truth.

While we're at it, has anyone on list looked at the ACB's White Paper
on Rehabilitation? They villified us there, too. Effectively, the aCB
made it clear that they're uncomfortable with our training methods and
said that Joanne Wilson's funding of research regarding discovery
learning in the training center had more to do with political ties to
the NFB than with anything else.

I'm with Joseph on this one. It's not about hating anyone, having
prejudice, or keeping anyone down. However, i think it's pretty clear
that joining the organizations would be a big mistake for everyone on
all sides for a variety of reasons. However, there's no great law
saying that we can't unite when there's real need for it and the blind
of both groups agree on a common issue. The hybrid is a great example.
Braille literacy is another. Preventing commission closure is still
another. We can all work together on these issues. Most of the time, we do.

I think it's great to put prejudice behind us. But that doesn't mean we
should altogether forget our histories as blind people and as separate
organizations. I am rather fond of saying that the NfB is sort of the
stop gap for the blindness field. The aCB keeps us honest. It's a good
relationship.

Respectfully,
Jedi