[nabs-l] NFB/ACB

Antonio M. Guimaraes iamantonio at cox.net
Tue May 19 02:01:02 UTC 2009

Jim,

If a joint student meeting, a national meeting, is a step to solving the
problem, then it is the thing that will get you in the direction to solve
it.

Thus, if a meeting is the first step to solving the problem, then it will by
simple logic solve it.

If only it were this simple. Imagine the reasonable members of the National
Association of blind Students meeting in conjunction with those reasonable
members of the National Alliance of Blind Students.

Inevitably, both groups will mut much effort into recruiting from the other
side. Each organization will try to sound and to be better than the other.
There might be an organized debate to settle or talk about the differences,
and each group will come out thinking that it won the debate.

Where would the meeting be held, and when? Who would fund it? Our NABS
board, with hard-earned NFB money?

Who would organize it, and what would be the theme? Harmony? Well, harmony
can be the theme now, but like it or not, there is much history, and
difference of thought even between members of both NABS.

I belong to this NABS, and I know why. I don't engage in little fruitless
mud-slinging of any kind. That said, I would point out that I gain much
value from the National Association of Blind Students, and not much from The
Alliance of Blind Students.

Listserv traffic on the other NABS is a small fraction of this one, and
though I recognize the good that Alliance members find in their
organization, I enjoy much just from reading this list.

In some seminar or another I heard Dr. Maurer talk about an attempt to have
a joint ACB NFB convention. I think ACB bauked at that  idea, but if I am
wrong about it, you should write to him and ask.

There are other ways to be civil, cordial, and colaborative, but a joint
NABS meeting is unlikely.

Antonio Guimaraes

If an infinite number of rednecks riding in an infinite number of pickup
trucks fire an infinite number of shotgun rounds at an infinite number of
highway signs, they will eventually produce all the world's great literary
works in Braille.

Shop online and support the NFB of RI at no additional cost to you.
http://www.givebackamerica.com/charity.php?b=169
Givebackamerica.org, America's Online Charity Shopping Mall