[nabs-l] negative traffic

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Tue May 19 22:04:56 UTC 2009

Sarah,

Read the messages yourself.  Several on the list describe me as
insightful, positive, and interested in positive debate.

All I ever did on that list was correct the more blatant
misrepresentations of the Federation, politely.

Things such as "The NFB hates DVS!"  The Federation opposed
implementation of regulations mandating DVS without consideration of
what the needs are and the standards should be.  We generally support
described audio because it is useful, and we would encourage
voluntary adoption.  But we also don't want mandatory rules that say
this thing must be required with haphazard standards and little
consideration of how to make the content useful.

"The NFB wants us all to be unsafe crossing streets!"  The Federation
opposed universal implementation of "Accessible" Pedestrian Signals
that involve a loud bird sound emitted at one corner that drowns out
the sounds of traffic.  We go further by saying that such "old style"
signals are simply dangerous to the blind traveler because they make
it nearly impossible to hear the traffic patterns upon which a blind
person makes a safe street crossing.

We have no inherent disagreement with the more modern APS which emits
sound at each corner when it is being used, at a lower volume matched
to that of traffic, and provides audible and tactile signaling.  We
recognize that there are intersections at which they are valuable.
We continue to oppose universal installation on fiscal grounds, but
have not offered significant objection to installation of these
signals when intersections are being serviced.  That would eventually
make them universal, but at a greatly reduced cost.

That kind of thing.  The blanket, global, and incendiary statement
got a clear response and interest in discussing the merits of the
issue with the stated goal of improving our argument's quality, even
when positions do not change.  This is what was met with such hatred.

And it was not only me who was treated this way.  You say they treat
you well.  Go over there and let it be known you are affiliated with
the Federation, and you intend to continue to be.  See what happens
for yourself.

Joseph