[nabs-l] NFB/ACB

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Wed May 20 12:11:25 UTC 2009

Hope in one hand and something else in the other...

I voted for the guy who offered substance, even if I didn't agree
with it.  Now that I see what all that hope was worth, I'm sure not
regretting my vote.  The only change involved will be what's left in
the bank account after taxes.

The situation is much the same here.  Hope gives me nothing to grab
on to.  Give me substance, and I can offer support and assistance.

Dismiss me if you want (and you apparently already have), but let me
ask you an honest question:

Let's say you get thirty young Federationists, full of hope, ready to
bridge the organizational gap with the ACB.  They're eager, they have
no preconception that the ACB is nasty and venomous.  So they go out
and try to interact with the ACB..  They join acb-l, and they start
talking.  And then they're identified as Federationists.

The most polite response they get on acb-l is calling it an
"invasion" by the NFB, with calls to ban the Federationists from the
list.  There's a lot of four-letter word usage to describe your peace
envoy on acb-l, and the general vibe is that they should go back to
being "brainwashed" by Marc Maurer, since they're not welcome.  A few
nice-sounding messages suggest that they're just kids, and therefore
they have no idea just how evil the Federation is.  What follows is a
long stream of hate and accusation so that these "kids" will know
just what the ACB thinks of the Federation.

I estimate you lose about four students who are so sick of both NFB
and ACB that they refuse to be involved with either.  Two or three
will believe what they hear and join the ACB.  Probably about six
will blame themselves, wondering what they did wrong.  The rest will
return here, disgusted by the behavior on the ACB's main list, and
how the ACB administration allowed it to continue.

That's a projection on my part, but it's based on about six or seven
months of acb-l traffic and the patterns I observed there.  If I am
right, you'd have indoctrinated a whole new generation into the feud,
and I suspect you'd be among those wondering what you did wrong.

I'll tell you, preemptively:  You are trying to encourage us to make
peace with a few like-minded people surrounded by people who really
want only more war.  Without support from the list operators or the
organization's leadership, you'll get nowhere.  That's why I said if
you got them to stand up to the most egregious things, I'd support
you.

At least then it'd be possible for this not to end in disaster.

Joseph