[nabs-l] I Was One of Them

Peter Donahue pdonahue1 at sbcglobal.net
Thu May 21 18:04:38 UTC 2009

Good afternoon everyone,

    Now here's the real bombshell!The things I've written come from an X ACB
Member. I was a member for a short while in 1975. There was an organization
called "The Blind Leadership Club" that was eventually absorbed in to the
ACB at the same time I joined. It along with some other organizations of the
blind in Massachusetts became the Bay State Council of the Blind in 1976.
Much of the meeting time was taken up with such matters as where the next
pot party would be, where would we go on the next field trip, engaging in
discussions concerning the big bad NFB and that tyrant Kenneth Jernigan, you
get the idea. They were uninterested in assisting one of their members who
was dealing with guide dog discrimination by a hospital, (A situation that
almost cost the blind person in question his life), developing orientation
and adjustment programs and centers similar to ours, or supporting this or
that legislation that would benefit the blind of Massachusetts and the
nation.

    Just as we were reminded earlier this week the ACB didn't tolerate its
members spending meeting time and organizational resources on illegal and
unproductive activities. When the antics of the BLC were reported to the
national leadership nothing was done to stop them. It's the same old same
old we've heard over and over again.

 I decided I had better things to do with my time than to spend it in such a
rag-tag outfit like that. I joined the NFB in 1976 and have been a member
ever since. All three of us are members of our local chapter. Mary and I are
life-time members of the National Association to Promote the Use of Braille
along with several other national divisions and committees. Cindy Garcia is
our chapter vice-president. It moves us to think that the little
three-year-old we used to play with in 1989 when we first moved to San
Antonio presided over our May Meeting last Saturday and did a great job.
Classical Spotlight will be on in an hour so I need to wind it up. All the
best for a safe and fun holiday weekend.

Peter Donahue