[nabs-l] NFB/ACB, Next Steps

Joe Orozco jsorozco at gmail.com
Thu May 21 21:05:28 UTC 2009

Hello,

I am all for the evaluation of an issue that allows for everyone's opinions
to be heard.  Yet, it seems that with one exception, the discussion has been
primarily about what is wrong and not so much about how to fix it.  If you
think there is hope in the union of the two groups by way of the student
divisions, think it, plan it, then do it.  Don't waste your energy on
pointing fingers and criticizing.

My only caution to this notion of the two student divisions working together
is that before anything of substance is born, the divisions need to have
something to offer.  Build yourself before you build another.  Otherwise you
will run the risk of a haphazard collaboration that may only result in
deepening the static between the two organizations.  Figure out how you will
help your own membership before you try to go out and conquer the blindness
community as a whole.

I neither agree nor disagree with the idea of a union.  I made my choice to
belong to the NFB, and how I choose to volunteer my time to the organization
largely depends on the feasibility  of the project.  If the people who feel
adamant about working together can make it work, count me in, and I am
willing to wager that you could count on the support of many others.  If,
however, the only thing done to bring about such collaboration is confined
to a list-serve debate, do not feel angry when no one stands solidly behind
you.  This does not mean we are naysayers who are cynical about even trying.
It just means that when we pay our dues, our first job is to uphold the
philosophy of the NFB, not bridge the gap between the NFB and its largest
rival.  There are only so many hours in a day to volunteer.

The fact of the matter is that the NFB is the stronger of the two
organizations.  We do not need the acceptance or approval of ACB members to
do what we do best.  If you feel that the direction of the NFB could be
changed, you work within the NFB to make that happen.  You do not go out and
hope that bringing in people from the other team will make your team better.

Respectfully,

Joe Orozco

"A man who wants to lead the orchestra must turn his back on the
crowd."--Max Lucado

database 4094 (20090521) __________

http://www.eset.com