[nabs-l] The role of a student division?

sarah baebler wolvessarah at hotmail.com
Fri May 22 04:40:45 UTC 2009

Hi Jim,
I asked myself that about 3 years ago when I was president.  I knew a lot of people my age that would benefit from the positive role models but they were not students.  We revised our constitution to included them and students with usable sight that were usually looked over.  We had a fun event like I've mentioned before on the list and added about 2 hours worth of NFB stuff, otherwise we did rock climbing, going out to eat, and goalball.  This got people interested and not afraid of the NFB SCARY MILITARY PEOPLE, that a lot of them thought we were.  We stayed at a hotel and highered a driver to pick up people which also made more parent controlled students feel confortable.  I know that this isn't exactly NFB phil. but getting people interested is the first step.  I used camps I went to as a kid and the school for the blind.  Plus we sent stuff out to Rehab, TVI, and other service's and asked them to pass it on, which a lot of time took reminding.  However the thing that I find the most effective is to find people you know and ask those people about other people they know.  At least in WI people don't know every other blind person but I know someone who knows someone else who knows another blind person.  In the beginning it seems like a LONG process and it is. It's all worth it.  WABS services about 200 students now, and even though we have student seminars, fundraisers, and NFB events we include the student whom are not "students". For instance we offer support and advise on how to go about getting a job, working with rehab for a job, and technology access.  For example we are having a seminar coming up and in the morning is "student" based stuff, such as study tips panel, being social in college, and rehab/DSS office issues.  Then in the afternoon we have life and job based stuff like Power of attoney, life insurance, managing your own money, mock interviews, independant travel.  The best thing about the afternoon stuff is that it applies to "students" as well. I hoped this helped.  It's late and I've had a long day.  If you have more questions I am full of ideas.
Sarah
WABS Vice President