[nabs-l] The role of a student division?

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Fri May 22 21:28:05 UTC 2009

Hi all,

Technically anybody can join the National Association of Blind
Students and its state affiliates, regardless of student or blindness
status. The only requirement to become a member of NABS and any of its
state divisions is the payment of dues. So there's no reason why
non-students can't join your student division and have all the rights
of any other members such as voting and serving on committees. The
only complication comes with who is eligible to run for office. Every
state student division has different rules about that depending on
your size and the sentiments of your leadership. Some state student
divisions require all their officers and board members to be students,
while others only require the president and vice-presidents to be
blind students.

When I was president of the Arizona student division we were always
relatively small, so we allowed non-students to hold the secretary,
treasurer, and board member positions but mandated that the president
and vice-presidents be students. We always had a couple of
non-students on the board as well as several in our membership ranks
and this was a great thing for AABS. The non-students were glad to
assist with fund-raising, recruitment and other division management
tasks and I also think they got a lot out of our seminars and
networking events, especially those who were planning to go back to
school. These days, a sizeable portion of youth (including blind
youth) are in transition from high school to college or college to
grad school and it's becoming more common to take some time off and
work or get blindness training during this period. So including
non-students in your events can still be valuable for them. There's
also a lot of blind young people who may not believe they are able to
get a higher education. What better way to inspire, motivate, and
mentor them than through a state student division and through NABS?

Arielle