[nabs-l] Ending the NFB/ACB feud

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Fri May 22 19:09:30 UTC 2009

While I am not a student in any official way at present, this is not really a student issue, either.  It is one that comes up in various places from time to time.  It might be
easy for those of us who have been members of either organization for a long time to assume that the two organizations can never get together.  Certainly, I see
some of the posturing that goes on as counterproductive.  I'm sure that both organizations often feel that the other opposes a given position just because the other is
in favor.  That could even be true at times.

Still, it is important that people not focus on merging until a very thorough understanding of each organization is achieved.  There can be something gained by
having two opposing views developed and articulated as sometimes happens now rather than having an issue avoided because it might cause political problems
within a merged organization.  As one organization, we would be forced to only take positions where we all agree.  There are issues upon which we don't agree
where articulating a position is necessary as a part of a decision making process even if the position I favor loses.  Spending a lot of time trying to merge rather than
continuing about our business doesn't seem to me to be a good use of our energy.  I also do not think spending time badmouthing one another makes sense either.
If we drift closer together over time, merging will take care of itself.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson

On Fri, 22 May 2009 12:27:53 -0400, Ashley  Bramlett wrote:

>Angela,
>I agree.  AcB folks  in some areas will be more willing to work together.  I
>suggest you don't merge but work together on common issues you agree on.
>You can have events to know each other and learn.  For instance having a
>technology exhibit together.  Another idea is social events to go out in the
>community to a play or something for fun.  Certainly have a grass routes
>thing if you want.
>Its not secrecy.
>Where are you?  CA?
>In some states ACB is more active than nfb and vise versa.

>Ashley

>>> get-togethers. This is a totally different tact. You can't judge the