[nabs-l] Ending the NFB/ACB feud

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Sat May 23 02:49:35 UTC 2009

Ashley,

You understand why then I essentially gave up.  It was not a good use
of my time, and things that should not have been controversial were
seen as such--primarily through my association with the NFB, I remain
convinced.  There just wasn't an interest in an intellectually honest
discussion with a Federationist.

Standard responses include that I was clearly too intelligent to
allow myself to be "brainwashed" by the NFB, and misrepresentation of
the Federation's position in intentional, derisive ways.  I don't
know how many times I got some snide comment about how the NFB does
not believe in disability accommodations or that Kenneth Jernigan was
allowed to use a sighted guide, but nobody else was, or similar clear
nonsense with no purpose except to inflame.

Those I accepted.  They're fallacious arguments, but they come up in
debates.  I drew the line at allegations of fraud, bribery, and
embezzlement, etc.

The thing is...what's changed?  I tried to discuss issues, but tried
to "get beyond" the only issue that mattered to far too many of them:
I am a member of the NFB, and I'm not ashamed of it.  I thought I
could be a part of the ACB as well, but I could not as long as it was
going to condone baseless allegations of criminality.

That remains my sticking point.  Not even that the accusations were
made, but that when they were called into question, the powers that
be decided that the posters had a right to make the allegations, and
that I was not entitled to challenge the assertions on the lack of
evidence offered.

Joseph