[nabs-l] SPSS Syntax Guide

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Sun May 24 18:56:25 UTC 2009

Hi all,

Lately I've received a number of questions from blind students
conducting research projects or taking statistics courses about the
accessibility of SPSS. As I've mentioned in previous posts, the
software is accessible as long as you use Microsoft Excel for data
management and to read your output. However, while many sighted SPSS
users rely on pull-down menus, JAWS doesn't always do a good job of
reading them. Fortunately you can still run statistical analyses in
SPSS by typing commands (also known as syntax) into the syntax editor
and then going to Run in  the menus. Since syntax isn't always
well-taught, I've decided to pass along some syntax commands for basic
statistical operations (correlation, ANOVA and regression) so that you
can learn to use SPSS independently.

Keep in mind that this syntax guide assumes some prior statistical
knowledge, and is not a substitute for a course in statistics or in
SPSS. If any of my notation is confusing, I'd be glad to send you more
specific examples of particular procedures, as well as sample output.
Feel free to write me off-list at
arielle71 at gmail.com

I know this might not be relevant to many of you at the moment, but
you never know when you might need this info, so feel free to file
this away for later use.

Cheers
Arielle