[nabs-l] Funding rural-state student divisions

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Sun May 24 22:55:51 UTC 2009

Angela,
I can't answer it.  But I think you're right.
This is my observation too.
State students divisions are pretty autonomous so long as they advocate NFB
philosophy
For instance here in Virginia,
we formed a division pretty informally when students met at a state
convention.  It was the president's idea.  Charlie Brown, who was president,
suggested it and he conducted a vote and helped us elect officers and it was
formed.  The events we've had have been independent of nabs  oversight.
Our division is inactive so I see Jim's frustration.  But I'm not sure nabs
funding small divisions is the answer.
We are not rural.  But we are a big state and some parts of the state
transportation hardly exists.  It would take two hours to travel from one
university to the next. For instance from George Mason in Fairfax to James
Madison in Harrisberg, Mary Washington in Fredricksburg, or Virginia
Commonwealth University in richmond it takes about two hours by car and more
by public transit.
Fundraising at Washington seminar in DC or state conventions are some
solutions.  To implement this have conference calls.  I think these
challenges can me overcome with work and dedication from the board and
student members.  Unfortunately, VA students don't participate and it made
any further planning or events hard to exist.  I guess students were too
busy or for some reason did not want to be a part of the division.
I hope Jim is successful in getting his division together.  VA has not been
able to do this.  We had student meetings at state convention but not much
else.

Ashley