[nabs-l] Funding rural-state student divisions

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Sun May 24 22:44:20 UTC 2009

Hi Jim,
Yes good point.  Because you are spread out
and small its expensive and impractical to bring your division together.
I suggest you meet the division members at your  state convention.  Students
should be encouraged to attend the convention to learn and have a network.
While its best to meet face to face to have social or advocacy events, I
think there are other means to bring you together and know each other.
While not perfect, these ideas if done regularly can foster a sense of
community.
Unfortunately Virginia is inactive because the student members don't
participate.  We have a list serve and Corbb the president tried a
conference call but hardly any participation.  Although we are not rural we
are a big state and I hear southern VA lacks transportation.  So we have
some of the same challenges you are dealing with.

I'm sure since we're talking students or young adults, all own a computer or
have access to one.
Using the computer you can:
1. Set up a list serve to talk among yourselves.
2. Use facebook or other social media to promote yourselves.
3. You spoke of having a webinar for nabs.  Why not start in your state?  Of
course you need the support  of the state nfb to do it but surely they would
help.
Maybe you and the vp of MABS could lead the webinar.
4. You are small but it only takes a handful, like three or four students to
write this.  How about writing a small newsletter and posting it online and
sending it out to students in hard copy who request it and parents of blind
children.  This will get the word out to them so when their kids are
preteens or teenagers they can join the group.
Your publication will be like the Student Slate about articles of your own
life experience, living the philosophy and what nfb means to you.  You could
also put ideas for your student seminar in it and invite comments be sent to
you or another designated person.

To know each other you can use conference calls.  How about using a
conference call to plan a fundraiser and carry out the fundraiser at state
convention?
Also for funding maybe some of the local chapters can donate money to your
student treasurery.
For the personnel problem, enlist the time and energy of other members of
nfb for this.

HTH,
Ashley