[nabs-l] learning independent living

Christina Mitchell cnaylor073 at gmail.com
Mon May 25 01:00:19 UTC 2009

My mom is just like your mom.  She wants nobody in the kitchen with
her helping her cook.  She's the type of person who's into doing her
own cooking and cleaning.  I never was taught life skills when I was
little so I had to catch up with it later when I turned an adult.  I
remember when I was little, I tampered with the stove just to see how
a stove worked and my mom scolded me for it.  She didn't want me near
a stove whatsoever.  If I got burned, she would have a fit.  When I
was 9, I was away from my mom for an issue I won't get into and was
placed in my aunt's care.  I wasn't as independent with her either.
My sister and I both had chores but they were simple ones.  We mainly
had to keep our room cleaned and after dinner, I would take out the
trash and put away dishes while my sister washed the dishes.  Then
when I got older I learned to wash the dishes.  My aunt figured that
because I was too young that I would be more proned to breaking the
dishes so that's why she had my sister wash them.  I would put away
the plastic bowls and she would put the plates away.  I learned to
cook simple things as boiling eggs, making hotdogs ETC, but not
preparing big meals because she would do all of that.  So as I got
older, I then went to training centers and had ADL lessons at my own
apartment.  I still need help with some things I'm still not too keen
on.  My fiance and I live together and he's also blind.  He was taught
life skills when he was younger so he's a big help to me in showing me
things I still don't know how to do.  We help out each other.
Whatever he doesn't know I teach him and whatever I don't know he
teaches me.  I too wish I had patient parents and an aunt who would've
taught me more then what I did.

--
Christina