[nabs-l] learning independent living

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Sun May 24 23:26:56 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I know we can attend centers to learn life skills as adults.  But I think its better to learn skills growing up at age appropriate times.  Unfortunately, while I recieved great academic services like braille handouts and alternative formats for texts, I did not get much independent living training. I plan to do something about that of course.
I think parents should take an active role in teaching skills so you're not catching up later on and learning skills you could have learned at age 9.

For me, my mom did not want us kids in the kitchen with her.  She wanted to do things her way on her own.  So this isn't a totally blindness thing.  My brothers were older.  The extent of their cooking was microwaving food or preparing cereal.
My brothers didn't do many house chores probably for the same reasons.  They did more than me though.

I learned braille and had some O/M in school.  I learned computers and my technology through tutors at the department for the blind and reading the mannual.

I was sent a rehab teacher as a teen after school at home.  I had two.  They taught me some basics.  They labeled the appliances, showed me how to do laundry and labeled it and more.  They showed me dimo tape and how to label.
We did some cooking  and cleaning.
This was helpful.
I'd like to hear what you learned at home since I shared mine.
So my questions are:
1. Did you do cooking at the age appropriate times?
Were you able to do as much as your siblings if you have them?
2.  Did you participate in doing chores or other tasks as part of the family?  I actually met a blind teen who did house work and recieved allowance.  So I know some parents do this.  This girl, Amanda, was not a federationist but her family raised her with nfb philosophy.

3. What do you wish your parents or family had done differently.
For me I wish I had more opportunity and a patient mom to help me learn and then I would help her fix dinner.
I met a few blind peers at camp who said their mothers let them make a dish for dinner such as a salad or dessert.  I wish I had done that.  Unfortunately many of us are  protected and in reality we were pretty capable.  I guess most of you went to centers to rectify any deficits or learned on your own.

Ashley