[nabs-l] learning independent living

Sarah J. Blake sarah at growingstrong.org
Mon May 25 09:57:00 UTC 2009

Ashley,

What are your siblings doing to learnindependent living skills now? (See,
sighted people often need to learn skills as much as we do. They just don't
go about it so systematically.)

I had chores around the house but was rarely in the kitchen for cooking. I
took a cookking class during a summer session at the school for the blind.
(I attended regular school during the year.) I refused to go away to learn
this, so my parents were placed in the very awkward position of being forced
to learn to teach me before I went away to college. They rose to the
challenge. I was capable of doing more than they imagined. One reason why I
am troubled by the term "NFB philosophy" is that for me this was just part
of everyday life; and I never did join the NFB. I don't need to call it "NFB
philosophy..."

Later on, I enlisted assistance from older blind friends who had lived on
their own to help me in learning some additional skills that I wanted to
learn when I got my first apartment. I don't prepare gourmet meals; but I
don't eat them either. If I needed to fix one, I would learn to do it from
someone in the community--my local resources include numerous retired ladies
who love to learn how I work in the house and think up solutions to
problems. I think there is a time and place for using certified personnel;
but in my life is not it since I have enough skill level to build on and
work with volunteers when I need an occasional bit of  assistance.

Sarah J. Blake
Personal email: sjblake at growingstrong.org
http://www.growingstrong.org

I'm protected by SpamBrave