[nabs-l] learning independent living

Len Burns len at gatamundo.com
Mon May 25 11:00:39 UTC 2009

This is an interesting topic; and yes, it is important to remember that
nobody, sighted or blind, necessarily knows how to care for a household
or their lives.

As for me, it has been a few years, but this is how it went.

The summer after I graduated from high school, I went to a 6 week summer
program in beautiful, boiling hot Sacramento California.  It was a mix
of a lot of activities; mostly I was usually in trouble because I
thought for myself too much and was even more outspoken than I am now.

I had fun, but I cannot say I learned much that was useful.  Upon my
return, I received a letter stating how incapable I was and how much I
would have to learn before living on my own.  About a year later my
mother unceremoniously kicked me out of her house.  I learned later that
she figured I would be back shortly begging for a place to live.  She
should have known me better.

I got an apartment, taught myself to cook over a period of time, and
taught myself the basics of taking care of my apartment.

When I was at home, I had chores, although they never involved preparing
the evening meal.  I baked, and still do bake, a heck of a good loaf of
bread, and could more or less cook a meat patty.  From there, I was
pretty much self taught.

There are many paths to acquiring life skills, no one of them correct
for all of us.  I belong to neither NFB nor ACB, and have no desire to
do so.  I find some value in the contributions of each, but could not in
good faith follow the party line of either organization.  I have been
living the change for which I advocate personally and professionally all
of my life.  I need no organization to instruct me in this matter.

-Len