[nabs-l] Funding rural divisions

Jim Reed jim275_2 at yahoo.com
Mon May 25 16:59:14 UTC 2009

Sarah,

It is true that both Montana and Wisconsin are rural states, but trying to consider Wisconsin and Montana as equal when it comes to student divisions is like compairing apples and oranges. First of all, WI has several very large cities in or very close to the state which provide students for several very large state universities, whereas Montana's largest town is 100,000 (Billings, MT is the biggest city in MT, WY, ND, SD, and probably ID) and our largest university is 25,000. Also didn't you say in another post that your student division has somewhere near 200 members? As I said the other day, the state of Montana probabl has 30 blind students in the whole state; when you subtract for apathey, work, family, and school commitments,  that doesn't leave many people left for a student division.

Jim

Jim,
I read the majority of you email but I am SUPER busy with our
student seminar/rock climbing event coming up.  I do not agree with
you,  Wisconsin if rural too.  We are spread all over the place.  I
think that 30 is a good number and remember that more than totally
blind students can participate and they are not normally counted as
being blind or asked to be a part of nfb.  Wi is very rural.  If I
wanted to go from the south to the north it would take me 13 hours on
greyhound. We are a strong division that is spread out and we do fine
with fundraisers you just have to find the oppurtunity and communicate,
and most importantly devote effort to the group.  I do not think NABS
should be responsible for supporting us finacially, I think that if you
are struggling that NABS should have someone get involved with your
group and help them grow and strengthen.
Sarah B

Homer Simpson's brain: "Use reverse psychology."
 Homer: "Oh, that sounds too complicated."
 Homer's brain: "Okay, don't use reverse psychology."
 Homer: "Okay, I will!"