[nabs-l] Funding rural divisions

sarah baebler wolvessarah at hotmail.com
Tue May 26 01:57:00 UTC 2009

It is if there were pently of students in those cities.  Yes we have Madison and Milwaukee but we only have 2 students from Milwaukee and 3 students from Madison.  Otherwise we are spread throughout the state.  I said we SERVICE 200 people...  We have about ten to twelve active active members.  At least what I call active, meaning come to the meetings, attend fundraisers, and participate in planning events.  Otherwise we service a little over 200 I think it's about 232 to be exact.  That does not mean that they are active active member but ones we counscel, support, and educate on blind student issues.  I'd like to add that it doesn't take a large city to have a fundraiser.  I live in Lodi, WI a small town that doesn't have public transportation or a college or anything LOL...it's a population of 2,932.  We have a small parade and fair that we hold fundraisers at. You don't need a HUGE town or a lot of people.  We've held bakes sales at churches, and the best options for fundraisers are candy bars, cookie dough, and raffle tickets.  This way you don't need a place, time, transportation.  You just fundraise on your own, a confidence building for many of our students.  When I joined the division we were an almighty 3...  it doesn't take a huge division or a big city to get out there and do something.
Sarah