[nabs-l] Exclusion of blind persons with secondary disabilities

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Tue May 26 06:24:45 UTC 2009

The real question is, what defines a significant additional
disability?  I have several candidates.  I have Albinism, which
results in particular sensitivity to light and I don't do well out in
the sun for very long at all.  It is also the source of my blindness.
I have Asthma and allergies which provide their own limitations.
There are other issues as well.  Collectively, they are far more a
disability than blindness ever could be.  Yet only the Asthma even
approaches the traditional definition we use to determine whether or
not someone has a disability.  Mine isn't bad enough for that.

Oh, and I'm dyslexic.  You'd never know it unless you specifically
tested me for the learning disability.  I cope with dyslexia almost
better even than I do with blindness.

I didn't comment on this because what caught my eye even before the
attitude of the blind being "not really disabled", I noticed the
apparent ageism.  In Oregon, it is not uncommon for students to be in
college for five or six years rather than take 18 credits per term as
an undergraduate in 11 week classes.  I'm speaking of sighted
students, mind you.

Not only that, many families have no means to send children to
college, but technically too much of an income for financial aid
grants.  Loans don't pay for everything, and it is harder for a
person with a disability to simply work their way through college for
a number of reasons.  More than a few with disabilities don't get the
opportunity to start college until age 24.

Even when not starting as a non-traditional student, it's not exactly
highly common that blind students graduate from high school at age
18.  Typically graduation happens between 19 and 21 for Oregon's
blind students.

Can you imagine trying to enter the job market at age 28-30, having
never held a job and only a four year degree to show for education?
I know some who don't have to imagine.  This could be ideal for them,
but they are excluded.

(Actually, it seems NABS itself wishes to exclude such people, based
on comments made by a former president of the organization suggesting
that us old fogies just can't relate to you young whippersnappers, or
something to that effect.  We'd rather include the ACB than our own
proud student Federationists if they're over 25.  But that's a whole
separate discussion that I'm sure we're not going to have.)

Joseph