[nabs-l] FW: [nfbcs] Mac Accessibility

Joe Orozco jsorozco at gmail.com
Thu May 28 06:47:07 UTC 2009

I'm sharing the response below to any students also interested in making a
switch from PC to Mac.

Joe Orozco

Subject: Re: [nfbcs] Mac Accessibility

See my responses inline below.

Everett

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/ezufelt

View my LinkedIn Profile
http://www.linkedin.com/in/ezufelt

On 28-May-09, at 12:35 AM, Joe Orozco wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Forgive the cross post.  I need information from former PC users who
> are now using the Mac environment as their primary operating system.
> My
> questions:
>
> 1. How steep is the learning curve moving from Mac to PC?

Fairly steep.  Voiceover operates oppositely to JAWS and Window Eyes, but it
is nice when you get used to it.

> 2. Is Firefox available to the Mac environment, and are there any
> limitations to the browser in this environment?
> No, firefox is currently not accessible on the Mac with Voiceover.

> 3. What general limitations have you discovered using Mac moving from
> the PC?

Voiceover is not scriptable, there is no way to tweak the accessibility of
an application.  There is no word processor hat supports tables.

> 4. Is Voice Over built into the Mac system.  If not, how much is it,
> and where is it found?

Voiceover is built into the Mac operating system and gets updated as you
update your operating system.

> 5. How often is the screen reader for the Mac OS updated?  How
> comparable is Voice Over to JAWS?  What kind of speech does Voice Over
> use?

Voiceover is updated when the OS is updated, but I'm not sure how many
features actually get updated, there is no real list of new features / bug
fixes that I have ever found.  In my opinion Voicover sounds nicer than
Eloquence, but has a harder time pronouncing words.