[nabs-l] FW: ALERT! Sign-On to Letter to Congressional LeadershipConcerning Health Reform and Vision Loss]

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Fri May 29 21:41:36 UTC 2009

Jim,
I agree.  Gedi is right blindness is a social issue but its also a medical
issue and I agree with you.  It needs to be covered more by insurance and
proper care
given by an optomitrist or opthimologist.  I have low vision like you Jim
and although I support blindness techniques I want to use and keep the
vision I do have since its a visual world.  Sometimes vision is an
advantage.  For instance seeing money so you know if you're cheated on or
seeing colors so you don't have to memorize or label everything.

When I go for low vision exams I want it covered by insurance.  When I go
for eye exams I want it covered.  Sadly insurance doesn't cover much for low
vision.  My  insurance, Blue cross, doesn't cover low vision exams.  We paid
out of pocket.
Its even worse for seniors.  They don't have vr counselors who will pay for
technology or low vision devices like we have.  Are you all aware medicare
does not pay for O/M service orlow vision exams or aides?  They will not pay
for zoomtext or CCTVS.  They will pay for other medical needs like physical
therapy or occupational therapy, but not low vision rehabilitation.
So indeed we need health reform as it relates to vision loss!  If you break
a leg, medicare will help.  If you need surgery they will fund it.  If you
need hearing aides its covered!  But if you are losing your vision to age
related macular degeneration, well you'll be paying a lot out of pocket.
Talk about all the philosophy you want.  But like Jim said you need to be
realistic about what medical care vision loss and blindness brings!
I support skills and training.  But no amount of skills/training will  will
change the fact that I was born prematurally and my optic nerve had some
complications.  We don't know the details or why because I'm adopted.  This
potential medical reform is important because it would expand coverage to
get O/M service and low vision/talking aides.
It may not help us but it will help many struggling seniors.

Ashley