[nabs-l] FW: ALERT! Sign-On to Letter to Congressional LeadershipConcerning Health Reform and Vision Loss]

mworkman at ualberta.ca mworkman at ualberta.ca
Fri May 29 21:54:13 UTC 2009

Jim,

I won't speak for Jedi, but I tend to agree that blindness is typically
primarily a social issue and not a health care issue, and so I'll explain
why I think this.

I too have RP, and I haven't seen a doctor about this in at least five
years.  While I was seeing a doctor, there wasn't much he was doing for me,
increasing my prescription was about it.  If you consider the main barriers
associated with being blind (e.g., lack of access to information, lack of
proper trainging and rehabilitation services, negative misconceptions about
blindness held by the public, discrimination by potential employers, and so
on and so on), short of curing the blindness, there isn't much that a doctor
is going to do to alleviate these problems.

So you're right that my resistance to calling blindness a medical issue has
to do with the fact that my form of blindness is incurable and untreatable,
but this is not exactly an unwillingness to admit my blindness is the result
of a medical condition; it's simply a recognition that everything that
matters about me being blind has to do with social conditions (e.g.,
government policies, environmental design, people's attitudes, etc).

To further complicate things, I will also point out that many medical issues
are themselves socially caused.  You and I may have genetically-caused
blindness, but many people go blind as the result of bad living conditions.
Take the case of river blindness for example.  This form of blindness occurs
mainly in poor african communities and is the result of a parasite that can
relatively easily be treated through the use of drugs.  So it's true that
this form of blindness is treated through administering drugs that act on
the body, and this looks like a medical treatment, but if you want to
address the root cause of this form of blindness, you need to consider
global economic disparities, trade relations, the history of colonization,
drug patent regulations, and many other factors that are decidedly not
medical.

So my point is that the medical cannot be separated from the social as
neatly as you suggest.  For most blind people in western countries, people
whose blindness is incurable and untreateable, blindness definitely seems to
me to be primarily a social issue of an economic and educational nature.

Best,

Marc