[nabs-l] FW: ALERT! Sign-On to Letter to Congressional Leadership Concerning Health Reform and Vision Loss

Jim Reed jim275_2 at yahoo.com
Sat May 30 23:46:28 UTC 2009

Jedi,

Regardless of the fact that many of the problems associated with blindness are social , that doesnt change the fact that blindness, and its associated social problems, are the result of a medical condition. Therefore, actions such as O/M training and braille training should be considered as some form of a medical intervention. For another example, is giving an amputee an artificial limb so that he can walk and work really that much different from giving a blind person a cane so he can walk and braille instruction so that he can work? Why should an artificial limb (and the associated training) be considered a medical treatment while a cane (and the associated training) is not? Are both not designed to minimize the affects of a medical issue?

We can work to solve the social problems regarding blindness, but I see no harm in admiting that those social problems are the result of medical conditions (no mecial condition= no blindness = no discrimination). I especially see no harm in admiting this when it comes to expanding health care coveraqge to include low-vision and blindness treatments, trainings, and technologies.

Jim

Jim,

What I mean to say is that the experience of blindness is more a social
issue than a medical one. Yes, blindness is caused by medical
conditions, but medical conditions resulting in lack of eyesight don't
create literacy problems for the blind, severe unemployment rates,
discrimination, etc. Social issues do, and these are the greater issues
we face as a community. The country would do well to recognize that.
Currently, they're not, at least not to the extent that they should.

Respectfully Submitted