[nabs-l] Charlie Wilks- blind football player. (as featured onESPN360)

Jedi loneblindjedi at samobile.net
Thu Nov 12 02:21:55 UTC 2009

David,

I do think you're being unfair. The fact that he's interacting with
sighted peers in a sport he loves to do sounds good enough for me. I
thought the report did a decent job of not making this kid out to be
some kind of super hero while conveying his positive attitude about his
blindness. It sounds like he does contribute something positive and
valuable to the team because he concentrates his efforts on breaking up
and stealing plays while other team players focus on getting the ball
where it needs to be. If they used a whistling ball, he may even be
able to play with the ball, too. I should insert here that he's not the
first blind football player to get  recognition. There was another guy
called Charles Krintz. He was not only blind, but very light and so
larger players would litterally throw him where they needed him to
break up plays and take others out. They called him Cannon Ball Krintz.
As to takling other team mates on accident, I think there are probably
sighted people who have done that before, and sighted players have made
greater mistakes in football than that. And he said it wasn't something
that happened often, just once in a while. Just my two cents.

Respectfully,
Jedi