[nabs-l] Charlie Wilks- blind football player. (as featured on

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Fri Nov 13 14:39:00 UTC 2009

However, all of this does avoid the question that was raised yesterday.  What is normal to us regarding our blindness is not normal to society at large.  How do we
convey the fact that some of us found ways to participate in athletics to society so that particularly the parents of other blind kids become aware of it.  I'd be willing to
bet that most of society doesn't know that many of us competed in wrestling, even against sighted kids.  <smile>  In my mind, what is key is not whether expectations
are low resulting in making something bigger than it is, what is the most important is if it conveys something meaningful to the public.  It is also important that the
person about whom such a thing is written keeps it in perspective.  We can try to get good articles about what blind people can do printed in our own magazines
including those for parents, but the fact is that something in the general media is more accepted to many people.  We definitely need to watch that such things are
written tastefully and accurately.  For example, if the thrust of this publicity was that the guy could play football due to his extra powers as a blind person, that
wouldn't be good.  Also, in my own mind, articles on blind guys in wrestling where the playing field is relatively level would be preferred, but maybe that's because I
was a wrestler.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson