[nabs-l] Blind ambition: U.S. Army's only blind SpecialForcesofficer set to inspire at Huntington ISD's Veterans Day event

Carrie Gilmer carrie.gilmer at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 15:22:51 UTC 2009

Greetings,
I had wanted to respond to this but got caught up in other things...coming
back to it. I was glad for this perspective from Antonio and I had a similar
reaction. I found it really interesting to say the least, and well, somewhat
disturbing, that it appeared that some of the same who so dismissed and felt
UGH about the 14 year old and his story were so apparently inspired and
elated about this guy. Some of the feelings against being positive about the
fourteen year old were that he was "not really doing it" and it was not some
thing "special" if I recall correctly...

In some ways I feel the story of the soldier has "worse" implications that
the 14 year old...

He was lauded for rising above his "tragedy" of being wounded and coming
back...well so have a bunch of other soldiers, some with much worse
injuries. The kid "came back" after a brain tumor.

He ran some marathons, was this special cuz he was blind? Blind people
running is inspirational? Or just running 26 miles?

I think it IS great he is advocating for better services in rehabilitation.
But haven't we been doing that for years? Does it help he has some feel good
story and some notoriety and recent experience of some fame~can we use that
to our benefit, yes and I am thankful for his participation. It is above and
beyond though?

Then the fact of him remaining in service as a Special Forces. Some
paperwork, some serious modifying & some loyal colleagues have let him
stay...I mean I think there is some element of sympathy in his staying in
the service involved~they will not let him go back to his unit in actual
field service or combat. So the fact of advertising the first blind Special
Forces person~well that is false, he did not earn it as a blind man and if
he was a blind man first they would under no circumstance now accept him.

Maybe what can be done is to get some more ed to the military~blind people
can SHOOT a gun, and well I was in the military~there are plenty in admin
who always ONLY shoot at the range and will never be in combat EVER...I also
think it IS possible for SOME combat situations to be quite well done by a
person who is used to functioning well with no vision...just like in
firefighting...

Also this is not the first blind person to be in the actual military...Dr.
Bolotin for one and he was taken for his ability & as a blind man for a
specific job. I would think that is what we would applaud & fight for.

Also if you read "Is History Against Us" by Jernigan...Well there was Zisca,
Hitoyasu, Holman, "Blind Jack" Metcalf, and several others as well as The
Blind Beak of Bow Street...there is some historical perspective.

Respectfully,

Carrie Gilmer, President
Minnesota Organization of Parents of Blind Children