[nabs-l] perceptual awareness

Jedi loneblindjedi at samobile.net
Wed Oct 14 03:08:54 UTC 2009

Well, in your situation, it's hard to say what's causing your feelings
of disorientation. But if it is your dyslexia or some other thing that
could equally happen to a sighted person, you might be at a greater
disadvantage just because there are more visual cues and patterns to
work with in most spaces than tactile/auditory ones. So, in an area
where it makes sense, you could simply create something very
distinctive to reorient with such as a radio in your kitchen or
something. That way, you won't need to depend on patterns so much and
you can reorient based on the distinctive sound. Or, worse case
scenario, you walk to the radio just to have a point of reference. On
the streets, you could use a GPS or compas to get you back on track. A
guide dog might be a useful tool for you if you're interested in
animals since guide dogs take care of some of that for you.

Respectfully,
Jedi