[nabs-l] perceptual awareness

Darian Smith dsmithnfb at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 16:23:41 UTC 2009

Hello  listers,

  I at times  get  disoriented   in places that  should be familiar to
me, as well, (of course) in unfamiliar areas as well.
  My view  is that  alot of blind people do get turned around in
places that  they know or don't know.  I would even venture to say
that a sighted person  could  as well.  I think the only difference
between a person with vision to a person without is that  they can
see, therefor  they can  quickly glance around a room and identify an
object that  orientates them.  As a blind person,  I find that I
simply stop,  calm myself and  ask myself the typical questions: "
what do I hear?" " what do i smell/feel?" and  try to re-set the
picture in my mind.  My opinion is that  that's what  good ole cane
travel class is all about... not so much knowing where you are  at all
times no matter what (even in the comfort  of our  own homes) but, to
be able to  figure out  where we are by problem-solving it out.
   That said, I tend to  kind of make fun of myself  and  think  "gosh
Darian, figure it out will ya?  if it was a snake it would  have
bitten ya!" :)
 Hope  that helped in some way.
  Best,
  Darian

--
"And if you will join me in this improbable quest, if you feel destiny
calling, and see as I see, a future of endless possibility stretching