[nabs-l] law school course outlining

Arielle Silverman nabs.president at gmail.com
Sat Oct 31 20:16:21 UTC 2009

Hi Jay and all,

While I'm not a law student, I think outlining techniques are an
important skill for all students to develop. The thing about
notetaking as a blind person is that the notetaking strategies that
work for you aren't always going to be what is most intuitive for
sighted people. When I write presentation handouts for sighted
readers, I try my best to do the outlining/indenting thing, but the
indentations aren't too helpful when I'm writing notes for myself to
read later. I think  when you are the only person  who will be reading
your notes,  what's  important is to do things in a way that makes
sense to you, even if it's not following the conventions typically
adopted by sighted people.

What format do you typically take notes in--hard-copy Braille, print,
on a Braille notetaker or on a computer? I typically  use my Braille
Note, so I use paragraph breaks as a way to separate my notes into
sections. Beyond that, though, I don't use any special bulleting or
numbering in my notes, beyond  giving each section a title (i.e.
"Chapter 1, Chapter 2, etc." Also my habit is to read chapters or
articles from beginning to end, skipping around only if there's
something like a figure or something technical that doesn't seem
essential. I write down anything that seems surprising or unfamiliar
in my notes and also try to get down the main points expressed at the
beginning or end of the article. To many reading things all the way
through may sound time-consuming, but if you're reading with JAWS or
you're a decent Braille reader it really doesn't take longer than it
does for print readers, and you don't risk missing anything important.
Again, everyone has their own method of recording important
information and, for instance if you take your notes in Braille, you
may find traditional outlining and indenting to be helpful.

Arielle

--
Arielle Silverman
President, National Association of Blind Students
nabs.president at gmail.com
Website:
www.nabslink.org